Friday, May 3, 2013

Meet Drift Employee: Scott Stevenson


So where are you from?

I was born and raised in Pueblo. I went to college here then got married. Have a son Josh. Divorced and moved to Monarch where I was a Ski Patrolman in the winters and operated heavy equipment in the summers.  Left the ski area and moved into Salida where I met my wife, Diane. I opened a bicycle shop and had it for about 6 years.

How did you find yourself in Pueblo?

I sold out my bicycle shop and went back to college, here in Pueblo, and became a Registered Nurse.

When did you start fishing and who helped you? 

My fishing experience started with my dad and grandfather as a small child, with fishing vacations to many of the major rivers and lakes in Colorado. I remember being left behind in the evening when the hatches started while my dad and grandfather took their bamboo fly rods out to pursue the elusive trout.  After growing into waders I was finally taken along to the evening ritual. My obsession to fly fishing resumed when I took a fly tying class in the early 1970’s. I met a fellow fly fisherman on a construction job in Craig at about that same time. His name was Dennis Breer. He took me up on the Miracle Mile where I caught my first monster trout. That is when I believe that hook was set on my obsession with fly fishing.

What is your fishing “specialty”?

My fly fishing specialty is nymph fishing river and streams, with an emphasis on the tail waters below the Pueblo Reservoir. I have been fly fishing the tail waters of the Pueblo Reservoir for twenty-five plus years. 

When did you start at the Drift?

 I became an employee in March, 2013.

What is your favorite part of your job?

My favorite part of this job is interacting with the clientele when they come into the Drift.  Helping them to select the proper equipment or supplies they need, to make their fishing experience enjoyable and successful, is probably my favorite part of this job

What advice do you have for people wanting to become better fishermen?

 Never stop learning! Fly fishing is an awesome sport with endless challenges that make the victories so sweet!


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment