Monday, April 8, 2013

Meet The Drift's Newest Employee Eddie Krabacher


Where are you from?

I grew up near Santa Barbara, California in a semi-rural area called the Santa Ynez Valley.  It was a great place to be a kid, and we had a ton of fun playing sports, surfing, fishing, riding dirtbikes, and hunting. I’ve been in Colorado for 5 years now, enjoying all the things I love to do (except surfing).

How did you find yourself in Pueblo?

My wife and I moved from Littleton to Pueblo West last June for her medical residency assignment at Parkview Hospital.

When did you start fishing and who helped you? 

My dad and uncle showed me how to fish when I was pretty young on the lakes and streams around Santa Ynez, and in the Sierra Nevadas on a few camping trips.  When I was 15 or so I took a flyfishing class from a guy named Neal Taylor, and I was immediately addicted-there was no turning back!  Since then I’ve been fortunate enough to fish throughout the Rockies, Sierras, and up and down the Pacific Coast.

What is you fishing “specialty”?

I don’t know if I’d call it a specialty, but I love sight fishing.  There is something so cool about seeing a fish, stalking it and casting so it doesn’t spook, and then hopefully hooking and landing it. I think it’s just way more fun to catch a fish you know is there rather than blindly casting away.

When did you start at the Drift?

Cat twisted my arm into working at the Drift starting in December, but I only get to work 2-3 days per month between my wife’s schedule and taking care of our little girl. Since I’m not there too often most people still don’t know me too well.

What is your favorite part of your job?

The Drift is a really laid-back shop, and many of the folks that come in like to talk and hang out for a bit.  Since the majority of my time is spent with our 8-month-old daughter and two dogs, it’s good to talk to adults a little more!

What advice do you have for people wanting to become better fishermen?

Go fishing!  …and pay attention to who is catching fish and what techniques they use.

Any closing statements?

I wasn’t too excited about moving to Pueblo and the fishing prospects here, but this tailwater has turned out to be an epic surprise!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment